- Choose only one method of hair removal and stick with it. Whether it’s mowing the lawn or pulling the weeds out at the root, don’t change your technique. You see, switching between shaving and waxing confuses the hair and increases the chances of those little buggers getting trapped under the skin. The result of switching methods can range from a minor to a serious skin infection.
- Hydrate your skin. Dry skin creates a barrier, making it difficult for the hair to exit. You might not realize that you’re already dry in this area and keep it hydrated gives it a little extra TLC. Hydrating your skin the night before your wax appointment, not the day of, will ensure the wax will stick to the hair and skin. Otherwise, it could make for an uncomfortable experience.
- Try your best to avoid excess friction to the area. Tight clothing of any kind is a major culprit. Friction causes the hair to break and turn back into the follicle, increasing your chances of ingrown hairs. Along the same line, the friction created during sex can irritate the area. For this reason I recommend avoiding sex for 24 hours after a Brazilian. I know how excited you are to show it off but trust me, it’s better to let things calm down before revving it up.
- Exfoliate! I can’t say it enough. Exfoliating is by far the most common, and easy, solution. Dead cells are our protective coat but they can be a contributing factor to ingrown hairs. Exfoliating before waxing removes the dead skin cells and leaves the area smooth. Skipping this step will make it difficult for the wax to adhere to the skin.
- Be realistic. Finally, remember to ask questions and educate yourself about what happens after a Brazilian. Proper home care can greatly reduce the discomfort, even if you’re prone to ingrown hairs. It’s important to note that it takes 3-5 consistent waxing appointments to achieve optimum results. Don’t have unrealistic expectations that one time is all it’ll take and try your best to avoid surgery (no matter how tempting it seems).
Trouble with ingrown hairs? Here are 5 tips to combat them. Having a Brazilian can make you feel like one foxy lady. But nothing screams unsexy like those pesky ingrown hairs. In fact, it’s the number one complaint from the majority of my clients. “Red, bumpy, unsightly and painful” are just a few ways my clients describe them. It doesn’t matter if you wax, shave, trim or sugar, ingrown hairs can happen while grooming your most private of areas. So how can you decrease these annoying little pests? Let the Expertwaxer share some of my most effective tips: